OK, so my expectations were unreasonable.  (Too bad because it would
seem to be a very user friendly and elegant way of limiting choices in
forms.)  So, what do you suggest as the reasonable method to limit
choices on a form_from_instance or form_from_model?  Maybe I
misunderstood the part of the documentation that discourages one from
using the information on this page and encourages one to use the
newforms documentation:

http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/forms/

The thing is that in the newforms documentation no way of
accomplishing what I am after is given.