> Actually I don't think your expectations were unreasonable, I think they
> were natural given the unfortunately tight coupling between this admin
> option and model definition, plus the fact that the option has nothing in
> its name to indicate it is admin-specific.

Well, I still think that instead of decoupling the admin option from
the model, they should leave it as is and implement support for it on
all forms.  It is beautiful and very Pythonic.

> As for how to do it in general, sorry I can't help there (though I got the
> impression you had found a way to do it?).  My own app has no need of forms,
> so it is an area I know very little about.

Well, I thought I had found a way to do it, but I can't get it to
work, as I described already.

> I don't think you misunderstood the documentation either.  Building stuff
> with oldforms is discouraged, since they are going away.  But newfoms is
> still work-in-progress, so doc is not complete and some things may not be
> entirely worked out.  Such is the way with volunteer projects.

Interesting dilemma.  I just find it hard to believe that nobody else
has found a way to work around this issue.