OK, I think I finally got it.  (Thanks to Python's introspection and
interactive shell!)  Here is how I got it to work in my view:

def away_edit(request, away_id):
    aw = get_object_or_404(away, id=away_id)
    aw_form = forms.form_for_instance(aw)
    filtered_choices = Contact.objects.filter(is_staff=True)
    aw_form.base_fields['contact'].widget =
forms.widgets.Select(choices=[(obj.id, obj.__str__()) for obj in
filtered_choices])

Tada!!!

Any one wants to add it to the documentation or some FAQ wicky? :)