I've been reading the state and dma code.  I have some questions.

> The intention is to instead use
> a pool of private buffers not mapped to userspace (rather than continually
> unmapping and mapping client buffers).  The part that is missing (and
> preventing us from merging with the trunk) is a way to allocate and use a
> set of private unmapped buffers in addition to the client buffers in the
> DRM.

So would there be one set of unmapped buffers that are used for everything,
and then a set of client, mapped buffers that are just used for state (only
in mach64_state.c:mach64_dma_dispatch_vertex()?)?  Or is it the other way
around, some unmapped buffers just for copying state data to before it is
emitted.  The second way seems wrong to me, but that was what I thought Leif
was describing in his earlier mail.

I was going to start modifying the free list routines to allow for two lists
per dev_priv structure, one mapped/one unmapped.  I would add another
freelist structure to drm_mach64_private_t.  Would this type of change mean I
could remove the placeholders list?   Is this the propper way to go?

-James