On 5/18/08, Thomas Hellström <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  >
>  > What you fail to notice here is that I think most people intend to
>  > have only one memory manager in the kernel.
>

> How on earth can you draw that conclusion from the above statement?

Well, Dave has been saying this to me all along... otherwise I'd
probably have my own memory manager too. I also think most people
agree that a single memory manager would make things simpler for
everyone (especially since there is a need for some glue with things
like EXA).

>  > So making the wrong
>  > decisions here will pretty much enforce those decisions on all
>  > drivers. And therefore, we will not be "able to do what you want to"
>  >

> What GEM protagonists have been arguing and propagating for is not a
>  single memory manager, but a single small common simple memory
>  management interface to  that would allow any driver writer to do pretty
>  much what they want with their driver. As you might have noticed we're
>  not really arguing against that.

Yeah, again, I'm not taking sides, I'm just concerned that we'll have
to revisit the memory manager issue in 2 years when all cards
implement full memory protection and paging (and that'll be the case,
since the windows driver model pretty much requires that). But maybe
it's the right thing to do to move forward now.

Stephane