Good day, DSpace folks:

My name is David Cook, and I'm currently running a test instance of DSpace
3.2 on Debian 7 with Tomcat7.

I first encountered DSpace at the start of 2012, but my experience has,
prior to now, been limited to changing dspace.cfg and the JSPUI templates.

Now, I'm looking to understand everything a person needs to know to install
and run DSpace. In time, I hope to contribute back to the codebase as well,
but I figure one step at a time.

So here are my first few questions and my assumptions.

1)      By default (i.e. Discovery is disabled and there is no OAI-PMH
cronjob), Solr is only used for statistics, yes? Instead,
indexing/searching/retrieving metadata is handled by another entity (Lucene
and/or the database)?

How do the following commands factor in? Are these commands that manipulate
the Lucene indexes based on the database? (When Discovery is enabled, these
commands no longer have any effect, correct? Instead, one uses
"[dspace]/bin/dspace update-discovery-index" which is the only command that
Solr API uses to manipulate the Lucene indexes?)

Create/Rebuild/Delete indexes -> [dspace]/bin/dspace index-init

Update indexes -> [dspace]/bin/dspace index-update

                When I tried using these index-* commands, I didn't receive
any errors at the CLI, but nothing seemed to happen in DSpace either. That
is, there never seemed to be a need to run index-update, as the metadata was
always up to date.

                Index-init didn't seem to remove indexes either. Or if it
did, search then defaulted to directly querying the database?

                (Related question: How do you add search indexes when
Discovery is enabled? Or do you need to?)

2)      While the usage/search/workflow statistics are being populated
correctly, the "general" statistics seem to be missing. Every time I visit
<http://localhost:8080/xmlui/statistics>
http://localhost:8080/xmlui/statistics or
http://localhost:8080/jspui/statistics, it says, "There are currently no
reports available for this service. Please check back later".

I've run "[dspace]/bin/dspace stats-util -b -r" as a desperate attempt to
get something, but it doesn't produce errors or results. I get the typical
"Created new kernel.Loading from classloader.Using dspace provided log
configuration.Loading." messages in the CLI, but that's it.

Any tips on how to get these statistics?

3)      Finally, is there a time/size limit on the Cocoon cache? Surely,
manually clearing the cache (either via the CLI or the XMLUI Control Panel)
isn't the only way that it can be refreshed?

If I change the title of an item, it changes everywhere except when doing a
"browse". The browse seems to be stuck on the old title until I clear the
Cocoon cache.

Any ideas on this one? I suppose a cronjob might be able to do it, but is
there a way to do it from the CLI which doesn't involve shutting down Tomcat
and starting it again?

I would appreciate any help that any of you can give me. Please don't feel
obligated to answer all the questions. I'm just quite curious about them
all.

Thanks,

-David Cook