From: ivan.ma...@gmail.com [mailto:ivan.ma...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of helix84
Sent: Thursday, 28 November 2013 7:49 PM
To: David Cook
Cc: dspace-tech
Subject: Re: [Dspace-tech] Difference between Lucene and Solr Indexing Commands

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 3:01 AM, David Cook <dc...@prosentient.com.au> wrote:
> 1) Is it necessary to run "index-update" and/or "update-discovery-index" as
> cronjobs? The indexes and browse tables appear to be updated automatically
> (notwithstanding that cocoon caching issue), so it doesn't seem necessary.

Ideally, it shouldn't be necessary. However, there may be situations that
DSpace doesn't handle correctly, your 3) is likely one of them.
It doesn't hurt to run them once a day from a cronjob, if there are no new
changes, they should take relatively shortly.

The other use case is if you want to modify contents directly in database, then
you have to run them manually to update the index.

> I imagine "index-update" should only need to be run after changes to the
> indexing structure have occurred?

Depends on what you mean by indexing structure. When adding/removing indexed
fields, you have to run index-init / update-discovery-index -b. index-update
and update-discovery-index only add/remove new records. Think of it as columns
vs. rows.

> Also, "update-discovery-index" might only need to be run regularly (i.e.
> daily) with the optimize option?

It is recommended to run the optimize option once in a while, especially on the
Solr statistics core if you use it.

> PS: Withdrawn items still appear in Solr usage statistics in the DSpace UI
> but they show a number (perhaps their internal UID?) instead of their title.
> Is this intentional or should withdrawn items not appear in the usage
> statistics?

I think it's debatable. Please, file a Jira issue to make sure the developers
will discuss it in the future.

> 3) As for the cocoon cache, I've followed your suggestion of using
> "index-update", but it hasn't changed anything.
>
> Any time I change the title of an item, the old title is presented when
> browsing (in the XMLUI - no the JSPUI) but is updated everywhere else.
>
> This behaviour is identical even when using the SolrBrowseDAO.
>
> So far, the only way I've gotten the correct title to show in the browse is
> to clear the cache or to add a new item (which must trigger a new page to be
> created and cached).

OK, as I said, this might be an oversight. Please, file a Jira issue.

Regards,
~~helix84