Hi David,

all your questions are very valid and as we're in a transition phase
between the old search and Discovery, there are some minor caveats.

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 8:11 AM, David Cook <dc...@prosentient.com.au> wrote:
> 1)      By default (i.e. Discovery is disabled and there is no OAI-PMH
> cronjob), Solr is only used for statistics, yes? Instead,
> indexing/searching/retrieving metadata is handled by another entity (Lucene
> and/or the database)?

That's correct as of DSpace 3.x. Search is handled by Lucene; browse
and itemcounter (collections strengths, disabled by default) is
handled by helper tables in the DB. DSpace 4.x will have Discovery by
default and the indexing commands will be renamed for clarity.

> How do the following commands factor in? Are these commands that manipulate
> the Lucene indexes based on the database?

Yes, in 3.x index-init and index-update work on the Lucene index and
the browse DB tables. itemcounter works on the item counter DB table.

> (When Discovery is enabled, these
> commands no longer have any effect, correct? Instead, one uses
> “[dspace]/bin/dspace update-discovery-index” which is the only command that
> Solr API uses to manipulate the Lucene indexes?)

That's almost correct. When you enable Discovery, search is handled by
Solr, but browse is still handled by the DB-backed tables, so you
should use index-init/index-update to keep those up to date.
Alternatively, you can enable the SolrBrowseDAO (new in 3.0) class to
also handle browse using Solr - see browseDAO.class and
browseCreateDAO.class in dspace.cfg.

This also answers your question 3).

>                 When I tried using these index-* commands, I didn’t receive
> any errors at the CLI, but nothing seemed to happen in DSpace either. That
> is, there never seemed to be a need to run index-update, as the metadata was
> always up to date.

With Discovey enabled, you would only notice it on the browse pages.

>                 Index-init didn’t seem to remove indexes either. Or if it
> did, search then defaulted to directly querying the database?

No, search has never queried the database directly. index-init has a
couple of options which include clearing the Lucene index or
recreating the DB browse tables. See documentation [1].

>                 (Related question: How do you add search indexes when
> Discovery is enabled? Or do you need to?)

Do you mean how to add a new index on a new field? [2]

> 2)      While the usage/search/workflow statistics are being populated
> correctly, the “general” statistics seem to be missing. Every time I visit
> http://localhost:8080/xmlui/statistics or
> http://localhost:8080/jspui/statistics, it says, “There are currently no
> reports available for this service. Please check back later”.
>
> I’ve run “[dspace]/bin/dspace stats-util -b –r” as a desperate attempt to
> get something, but it doesn’t produce errors or results. I get the typical
> “Created new kernel…Loading from classloader…Using dspace provided log
> configuration…Loading…” messages in the CLI, but that’s it.
>
> Any tips on how to get these statistics?

I think these are the old, pre-Solr statistics from before DSpace 1.6.
stats-util should be the correct command to generate them. I never
used them myself, so I'll leave this question for someone else to
answer.

> 3)      Finally, is there a time/size limit on the Cocoon cache? Surely,
> manually clearing the cache (either via the CLI or the XMLUI Control Panel)
> isn’t the only way that it can be refreshed?

Surely there is, but i never needed to know what it is. You only ever
need to clear the Cocoon cache if you change XSL files, Java code or
some configuration options. When there are changes only in content,
there should be no need to clear it.

> If I change the title of an item, it changes everywhere except when doing a
> “browse”. The browse seems to be stuck on the old title until I clear the
> Cocoon cache.

This sounds weird. Try index-update, which is the normal procedure and
let us know if this happens nonetheless.

> Any ideas on this one? I suppose a cronjob might be able to do it, but is
> there a way to do it from the CLI which doesn’t involve shutting down Tomcat
> and starting it again?

I answered this in 1).

[1]
https://wiki.duraspace.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=32474035#ReIndexingContent(forBrowseorSearch)-CreatingtheBrowse&SearchIndexes