Danny,
Unfortunately vendor finance and lease back are common practice in many
stores here for ages, already. While they don't call it rent per say, it
boils down to monthly installments and the word interest appears nowhere.
Most notably though, if an item costs say $500 cash, then the vendor
finance is priced around $22 per month for two year with $1 down. That in
turn means that there is barely any 'interest', indeed more of a service
fee to allow for the cost of accounting over a 24 month period.

I am always astonished how many Europeans and most Americans don't have a
concept of Malaysia, and expect some third world country of rural shags.
Yet, we got the longest bridge in Asia, the highest office buildings on
the planet, two of the 25 busiest ports in the world, are producing about
50% of all CPUs (notably intel's Itanium architecture was partly
developped and the chip is exclusively being manufactured here), are
exporting locally designed cars and are the 18th largest trading nation,
after Canada and Ireland and before Belgium, Finnland, etc.

So, yep, while she is wanting in some areas of the service sector,
Malaysia is definitely not Third World and easily ten years ahead of
Thailand in her development. For a closer example to Europe, I would place
Malaysia comparatively ahead of Turkey, maybe somewhere between Greece and
Portugal.

Patrick,
Thanks for the kudos regarding the Indian diary cow deal. It's not that
difficult actually, once you have been on the ground, had a few cows of
your own, just for kicks and slaughtered a few hundred chicken during an
emergency. After that you have a better idea how your prospective partners
feel and think and you can tailor offers they can understand and accept.
It appears that farmers the world over are a suspicious lot who don't
trust outsiders until you tell them that the pig with blood on it's head
is about to go blind and the hen with missing feathers on it's butt that
appears to have stopped laying is actully being attacked by other hens and
likely to be his best producer. Yep, appears chicks are jealous of other
chicks that lay more eggs and not only crash the eggs but also bull out
each other feathers...
In other words, there is nothing special with making unusual deals. All it
takes that you study the field on the ground, not in books and videos, and
listen to what seemingly uneducated people have to say, rather than trying
to educate them about things they have no use for ;o)

The weird thing might well be that I would have been one of those overpaid
bankers/CEOs I am now arguing against.

About the use of 'thugs' and similar offensive language on the list, I'd
say that the lack of actual human interaction over the internet often
makes us more emotional in our replies than we actually are in real life.
Often four letter words and personal attacks are submitted without a
second thought because of the impersonal surroundings. I have seen
respectible scholars blush when they were confronted with their own posts
to some newgroups at a later point in time.
In the end, emotions are what makes us human. And forgiveness might be the
easiest way to deal with someone else's. Of course, I'm prone to respond
in kind as well, when attacked. Maybe we just don't get laid often enough
:)

Cheers,
Robert.

budget & privacy website hosting