> And that is then when you have no risk, the guy who borrowed carries the
> complete risk of failure and still would have to pay you anyway. And that
> is unfair.

No, I think borrowing against interest is very fair if the conditions are
know and agreed to by both parties.

If I choose to carry the complete risk of failure because I want to enjoy
100% of the profits, then that's completely my own freedom of choice.
Nothing unfair about that.
And if your venture capital system is available as well, then I have all
possible choices, just in case I doesn't want to carry all the risk.
What more you want?

It seems to me that some of these systems of financing used in Islamic
banking are in essence exactly the same as borrowing against interest (as
George already pointed out).
Rather unnecessarily complicated constructions are being made to avoid
the word 'interest'...
What we call 'interest' in the West will be given other names like 'rent'

Person 1 pays rent for the use of a house over a certain period and returns
the house to its owner at the end.
Person 2 pays 'rent' for the use of an amount of money over a certain period
and returns the money to its owner at the end.
Any difference?

Danny