This is a situation which should be addressed in your trading partner
agreement. Technically, you can implement the data transmission with your
partners fairly easily using standard ANSI codes.

In the BEG segment (the first segment of an 850 PO), element one is
designated as "transaction set purpose code."

Code '00' = Original
Code '06' = Confirmation

What I've done for clients is just split purchase orders into "original" and
"not original". When "not original", the orders are printed and reviewed by
the sales staff. "Original" orders are just loaded to the application
system.

You can speak to your customers about using BEG01 to tell you an order is a
confirmation, and set up some kind of (manual) mechanism to deal with
duplicated orders when the customer forgets. On your end, you can process
"confirming" orders differently from "original" orders by looking at BEG01.

But... do not be surprised when not all customers aren't "totally receptive
to and eager to cooperate with" this plan.

Michael Mattias
Tal Systems
Racine WI USA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]