Jake Balfour, of Source Electronics, wrote: "I have numerous customers
that verbally call in an order, then follow up with the same order
through EDI.  I can't ignore all duplicates in the system for there are
instances where the EDI order is just an order with the exact
characteristics as another one. My solution is to place the order on an
exceptions report for review by the account representative."

It looks like most are in agreement with Peter Olivola that you can't
force the customer to do anything, such as expecting them to set BEG01
to indicate Confirmation or Duplicate, or to include unique release
numbers in the REF segment.

But as Grandma always said: "Don't forget your thank-you's."  So
regardless whether the order was called in or came in through EDI,
always confirm the release with an 865 (Purchase Order Change
Acknowledgment/Request - Seller Initiated) or an 855 (Purchase Order
Acknowledgment).  Surely, there's room in there somewhere to CYA with
the name of the customer's buyer and the date and time the order was
called in.

This really doesn't solve the problem of discerning duplicates, but
might be a nice touch.  It could even gum up the customer's system
enough to encourage him to follow the suggestions some of Jake's
respondents have offered.

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Pkwy.