The best method is Wayne's suggestion from way back:

In both Neg and Pos leads, supply a fuseholder and fuse.  I use the
"stubby" fuses from Motorola @ 30A, you should use something like
that.  These are T-rated, meaning they're designed to open with a DC
load.  Don't use a fuse out of your home's fusebox...

General setup:
12V AGM Battery @ 110 AH, cabled to a set of panel-mounted MOT inline
fuse holders.  Each lead is covered by a 30A fuse.  The battery is
charged by solar power, two Siemens SR50 (50W) panels on the roof of
the shack.

Note: This recommendation is a little more permanent than what you're
probably looking for right now.

If you're interested in this approach, I can probably get you the part
numbers you need.  MOT has a service center in IL, and you can phone
in your order.

73,
matt W6NIA