On 6/28/2011 4:07 PM, Al Gulseth wrote:

> The issue isn't "nostalgia" - it's technique and timing. Paddles cover a
> multitude of sins: as long as you're hitting the paddles somewere close to
> the right point you'll get nice even CW. With a straight key any technique or
> timing issues are immediately obvious.

Hmmm ... if the object is to send good, readable Morse code, and if we
live in the end of the first decade of the 21st century [or beginning of
the 2nd decade depending on whether you count from zero or one], why not
let the technology of the times help?

I think this issue *is* "nostalgia," and maybe some of "I had to do it
so you do too?"  You can send without spaces with an automatic keyer,
and I know a few who do, and they're hard to copy especially if I had to
make record copy.  But learning to send the spaces isn't any harder with
a paddle than a straight key or bug.  And "timing" on a straight key
isn't all that good anyway, even among really OT's.

> The "old timer" WWII radio ops that I've known (in particular my dad) always
> stressed mastering the straight key before ever trying to use paddles. And if
> you've heard those OTs on the air, a large percentage of them illustrate the
> wisdom of learning (and mastering) the straight key first.

That would not be my experience.  In the later 50's I was a relief op at
a coastal marine station while a high school senior.  A few fists afloat
were good, although I wouldn't ever suggest "timing" was their high
point, Google "lake erie swing" for more than you ever wanted to know.
A great number were just bad, and some took a couple or three of us to
pool our copy and see if we could decipher it.  Meanwhile, on the ham
bands, they were very good and some excellent fists.  I take a little
pride in that.

I'd rather have new hams [preferably young, but all ages will do] on CW
and making Q's.  Let's not discourage them by telling them they need
training wheels when they actually can ride the bike.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org