The "banana boat swing" is a combination of pure laziness and the
limitations of many Vibroplex bugs. Vibroplex made many, many bugs with
thick springs that prevent their dit rates being slowed below 35 wpm or so.
So QRSing below that speed (most marine communications occurred between 15
and 20 wpm with some operators I knew working a 10 wpm or less) meant
machine-gun dits with very long dahs and spaces.

I had a buddy who came ashore and worked at KPH on the California coast for
years with one of those bugs. To tame it (he as a stickler for good CW) he
hung a huge cable clamp on the pendulum so he could easily run at 15 to 20
wpm - what nearly everyone used in that service.

I have that bug now. His widow gave it to me when he became an SK. And I
have the cable clamp. It works great, but I can't understand why his right
arm didn't look like Popeye's after using it for years, Hi!

I like to practice on my bug with a computer decoder that is very, very
finicky about spacing and element lengths. CW GET is one such program that
really hates to decode anything but keyboard sending. My goal is to make it
decode my bug fist reliably.

I used an iambic keyer for years and it was sweet, but it completely ruined
my fist on a bug so I put the keyer away.

Ron AC7AC