The hardest CW to copy (for me anyway) has insufficient spacing between letters
or words.
This is exactly what a keyer does NOT help you with! The operator has to learn
recognize what good CW sounds like. Does sending with a straight key help with
that?
Maybe, but I doubt it.

Many of you have heard old-timers with bugs sending with the "banana-boat
swing" (dits way
too fast for the dahs) or the "Lake Erie swing" (think about sending from a
rolling ship).
These are generally considered 'bad CW', but they aren't difficult to copy.

The techniques of sending with an iambic paddle, a bug and a straight key are
very
different. I don't think learning one helps you with the others.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA