Ron, thanks for your comments, and I recognize that there must be a sizable
minority of operators that are fully competent with iambic. And, when iambic
is mastered it can probably produce faster code than either a single paddle
or a double paddle used by a non-iambic operator. What I don't believe is
that if you put a dual paddle with iambic logic in the hands of an
established operator, he will gradually slip into making use of the iambic
features. Yet, that seems to be the assumption of manufacturers. I can think
of 3 dual paddles available from Elecraft, but no single paddle option. Two
of the Elecraft paddles are for portable rigs. My experience with portable
operation is that the sitting position is usually uncomfortable, the hands
may be cold and shaking (due to cold or exertion), and motor skills are way
below the level at the shack. In such a situation, my mistakes with a dual
paddle go way up, and either Ultimatic or a single paddle would help a lot.
Before my KX1 I used a single lever made from flexing PC board with my
portable radios. It didn't go fast, but was very reliable after I soldered
little pieces of sterling silver to the contact points. Somehow I am
guessing that the tendency of manufacturers toward dual paddles and
complicated keying logic has something to do with the desire to appear to
deliver the most for the money. Beginners may be swayed by that. Some
manufacturers seem to really promote "more is more" as in pounds of radio
and number of knobs. Others, particularly when selling qrp rigs may promote
"less is more". For the thinking ham, neither slogan makes sense. Elecraft
provides lots features where more certainly is more, but saves us from
backbreaking radio weights and impractical numbers of controls. When it
comes to keying, the "more is more" seems to have won out without real
justification.

BTW many years ago like you I built a keyer from discrete CMOS (published in
73 mag). I don't remember what the keying logic was, but since dual paddles
were used, I am guessing that the whole project was motivated by the new
iambic ideas. I never learnt to use it at all (let alone the iambic
features) until I reversed the paddles to get the dits on the thumb. I can
relate to the pleasure of learning a physical skill like that (used to play
classical guitar), but feel that the movements with iambic are just too
small and delicate. Maybe I just need to set bigger spacing an use more
forceful movements to feel what is going on, but I seem to have a preference
for very small contact spacings. Interesting to hear about your need for
time to adjust between different sets of muscle memories. I experience
something similar in copying morse. I can copy quite fast, but it takes a
few moments to "load the decoder into my brain". One time I was filling up
at a gas station and another customer saw my mobile antenna and asked what I
was doing. When I said I was a ham, he started voicing "di-dah's" at me and
I couldn't copy at all. In addition to the general boot-up time, I just
wasn't programmed for that.

73,

Erik K7TV

--------------------------------

To answer your question, after 20 years of using a straight key and bug, I
built a discrete-component CMOS iambic keyer in the 1970's.

I did start out slow but speed came quickly, IIRC, as my fingers learned the
correct pattern of movements for each character. But I had to do the same
thing when I learned to use a bug in the 1950's. Knowing Morse doesn't mean
one's body knows how to operate a particular key to generate it. That takes
practice.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the iambic keyer built into the K2
and K3 was as comfortable to use as my old homebrew keyer.

Unfortunately, I found that I could -not- use a bug and the iambic keyer (in
iambic mode) interchangeably. My "muscle memory" was too strong and I found
myself squeezing the bug paddle. Also my timing on the bug was lousy since
the keyer did all the timing and spacing for me. So, after about 25 years on
the iambic keyer, my bug won out after another re-training period -- at
least as long as I enjoy sending CW with it. However, I have gone back to
the iambic keyer from time to time to load CW memories, etc., and iambic
fingering comes back in a few seconds.

But I enjoy learning physical skills like that. It's part of the fun of Ham
radio for me. Otherwise I'd not have bothered switching to an iambic keyer
and then back to the bug. I don't think I'm part of a silent "majority".

Most likely I'm part of a substantial "minority" - either on an iambic keyer
or on a bug.

73, Ron AC7AC