From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Ron D'Eau Claire
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2012 5:02 PM
To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Ultimatic keying

I learned to type that way in High School too but what really taught me to
keep a steady pace was pounding away on an old Model 15 RTTY keyboard in the
Army. As each key was pressed the keyboard locked while the mechanical
encoder cycled before another key could be pressed. Fortunately it was
pretty noisy so one learned to hear the mechanism cycle and knew just when
the next key could be pressed. Tapping one foot worked well too :-)

99.99% of my operating is CW rag chewing. We may be a diminishing "breed",
but there are still plenty of us out there to provide some really nice hours
on the bands.

That got me nostalgic for the old Model 15 "rattle" so I looked and, sure
'nough, someone has one running on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWa6u5_Itvs

The trick is to keep that rhythm for maximum inputting speed on the
keyboard.

73, Ron AC7AC