Hi Randy,

                Sounds suspiciously like the 9TO Mark II which appeared in the
June 1967
issue of QST, was called "Dot Insertion"   It was my 1st keyer and I still have
it!!

                You can get the article on line at the ARRL if you want to
check
it out.  I think
it is an Ultimatic type but relieves some of the timing issue with "slapping"
in
dots.

                 Also helped keep the shack warm in the winter, had 4 or 5
12AU7"s and 2
regulator tubes  (hollow state zeners).

73,
Bob