I don't know how Chen determines input overload - whether he's seeing
digital overrun in the data or measuring clipping in the audio input.
I suspect you are seeing the inevitable narrow range between hum/noise
on the audio output or the high noise floor of the particular sound
card and the limited signal handling capability (ca. 4.5V P-P) of a
single rail, 5V device.

However, unless a 24 bit soundcard is using +/- 12V supplies for the
analog input circuitry, there simply isn't 130 dB of usable range
between the noise floor and clipping levels.  A properly designed 16
bit sound card will produce in excess of 90 dB dynamic range if the
designer takes care with the noise floor issues.  That is sufficient
to handle signals from the receiver's noise floor to S9+20 dB with-
out AGC in most cases if the receiver itself linear.  For signals
above that level it will take some kind of AGC simply to keep levels
within the linear range of the receiver's front end/mixers.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV