Keith,

If you want to hear how strong signals from a 100, 10 , 1 or 0.1 watt transmitter can be in real time, take a listen to the International Beacon Project stations on 20m through 10m. These beacons are located across the world, and transmit in sequence on each band. When it is a particular beacon's turn to transmit, it sends its call in CW followed by four long dashes - one at 100w followed by one at 10w, one at 1w and lastly one at 0.1mW. Then the next beacon does the same. Each beacon is given 10 seconds transmission time. The transmitters operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and somewhere I have the details of their antennas which I think are all omnidirectional verticals. Their frequencies are 14100, 18110, 21150, 24930 and 28200 kHz , and these beacons are a very useful 'tool' for catching band openings especially on 12m and 10m at this point in the solar cycle. It is surprising how often 10m is open even now but no ham signals are heard because everybody is listening, or is elsewhere.

It is my belief that in working DX a very important thing is a good calling technique. A continental friend of mine runs 100mW, works DX on 40m, and it is a treat to hear him drop in his call whilst the mob catches its breath.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

Keith, KD1E, wrote on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 5:19 PM

K1 or K2.  Hmmm, the debate continues.  But wait, we're approaching a
sunspot min.  My antennas are pretty limited.  I have a 28 foot vertical
(fed with a tuner near the base) for 40 thru 15 and a dipole at 25 feet
but that is about it.  No towers, no high wires, no yagis.

How limiting will 5 or 10 watts (even with that Elecraft Mojo) be under
current conditions?  Are we entering into conditions where QRP with
simple antennas will become rather frustrating?  Is it K2/100 time?

- Keith KD1E -