K9QRG ON 5/12?
Just checking  :>)

Tony W7GO
----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Makoski W2LJ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Darwin, Keith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 4:54 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] QRP viability during solar cycle min?

Darwin, Keith wrote:

K1 or K2.  Hmmm, the debate continues.  But wait, we're approaching a
sunspot min.  My antennas are pretty limited.  I have a 28 foot vertical
(fed with a tuner near the base) for 40 thru 15 and a dipole at 25 feet
but that is about it.  No towers, no high wires, no yagis.

How limiting will 5 or 10 watts (even with that Elecraft Mojo) be under
current conditions?  Are we entering into conditions where QRP with
simple antennas will become rather frustrating?  Is it K2/100 time?

- Keith KD1E -
Keith,

Fear not fellow Elecrafter! We QRPers laugh at the sunspot minimum! Sunspots ...... who needs 'em?

I know, actually we all do. But to be serious .... as bad as band conditions were in 2005, I managed to make at least one QRP CW QSO everyday in 2005. If you want to check out some of who I worked (and there was a goodly bit of DX mixed in) then please check out: http://www.qsl.net/w2lj/index%20page%209.html

My antennas are not much more substantial (if any) than yours. I have a G5RV at 25 feet and a Butternut HF9V vertical which is ground mounted in the backyard. To me it seems that if you don't spend too much time concentrating on what you think are deficiencies; but go out with the aim to just have fun, then you will be amazed at what you can accomplish!

73 de Larry W2LJ
K1# 1647, K2# 4090