Kevin:

I think vertical dipoles are wonderful. I have used them on a heavily wooded lot with great success on both 20 and 30 meters. The higher you can get them off the ground the better.

It is very desirable to be sure the feedline comes off reasonably perpendicular to the antenna for a quarter wavelength or so.

Another effective trick (especially for 80 or 40) is an inverted L fed with coax at the corner. Its almost as good as a vertical dipole. Again, it is very desirable to be sure the feedline comes off reasonably perpendicular to both legs of the antenna for a quarter wavelength or so.

However, don't be too enchanted by the low angle pattern, it is also a bit lossy. If you overlay your EZNEC vertical dipole elevation pattern with the EZNEC broadside elevation pattern of a straight dipole at say 5/8 wavelength elevation, you'll see that although the vertical concentrates its energy at low angles, the actual dBi values are not that much better than the horizontal.

W4RNL has shown that putting a very elaborate ground screen under your vertical dipole gets you virtually no advantage. The losses are actually from ground losses a few thousand feet from the antenna. For that reason, if you're right on a seashore, you'll get spectacular results in the seaward direction. (This is the Desert Island effect.) I'm located near the coast of Maine, about 4 miles inland; the Desert Island Effect does not help me much.

I have both a 20 m vertical dipole (center about 20 feet off the ground) and a 20 m horizontal dipole about 45 feet up. Which one does better depends on propagation conditions. I have worked lots of South Pacific QRP with the vertical.

73

Steve
AA4AK