Nigel, G8IFF/KC8NHF wrote:

If CQ is a prosign, i.e. a single character without embedded space,
please explain how I should pronounce it such  using 'phone modes.

Dah-di-dah-di-dah-dah-di-dah?

Seriously, once you go to non-CW modes, all bets are off. Obviously CQ was
adopted by phone operators from its long use as a general call to any (or
all) stations on CW and the letters used to identify it as a prosign were
used on 'phone.

Again, in language we adapt, adopt and modify to meet the needs of the day.
The phone "CQ" is an excellent example.

Ron AC7AC