Adding to the plywood idea, for a really solid "no movement" key, drill holes in the plywood that match the feet on the paddles - so the paddle feet fit into the holes. The real key to the solution is to extend the plywood out to the front of the paddles so that your hand rests on the plywood. The paddles and your hand will always be in alignment, no matter where the plywood and paddle combination is placed on the desk. Your hand secures the plywood and the plywood holds the paddle in place.

That worked well for me until I bought a paddle from K3ZN which has more than enough weight on the base to keep it solid.

73,
Don W3FPR