Hi All,

I'm a bit late responding, but I haven't seen quite the answer I would have given. So, here's my suggestion.

The "no skid" shelf liner stuff is good, but I've found a particular type that seems to work best. It's actually the cheaper type. At places like Walmart you will find several versions of this stuff. The more expensive versions (although none of them are all that expensive) usually has a very simple pattern with small, rounded "bubbles" on top. This liner won't move, but the top surface is too slick, and things on top may move around. Instead, go for the "cheap" stuff, which is thinner, and has an even tighter (and somewhat irregular) pattern. I don't know how else to describe it, and that doesn't give you much to go on, but I almost always see it available at Walmart, and it is the lower priced option. If I remember to I will check the stock number the next time I'm in Walmart. It's also the same type and pattern I saw supplied quite often in small squares with some of the paddles that used to be offered as kits. Anyway, this stuff won't typically slide around on whatever surface you put it on, and more importantly, things on top of it don't tend to slide around much either. I buy this stuff and cut it to shape for my dashboard to hold all sorts of things, including cell phones, etc.

That said, a paddle without much mass can be problematic no matter what you place it on--unless you actually fasten it down somehow. That's one (of many) reasons I really like the Begali paddles, and other offerings as well such as the ones from Tony, N3ZN. These paddles have a lot of mass, and that, to me, is critical. To send properly with a paddle, it must be very stationary. Rubber feet rarely do the job. The surface contact just isn't sufficient.

Something I've thought about, but never tried, is using some of these small "super" magnets. You could glue 4 of these down on your dashboard in the appropriate spots, and if necessary, add a small, thin steel plate to the bottom of your paddle.

Dave W7AQK