Michael A. Wong (who declines to provide his call sign) writes;

> KX3 and Buddistick owner here.

Great on the former...my sympathies on the latter. :-)

> Mainly, I'm on 20m and maybe I haven't read the right book on random wire
> antennas,

Remove the words "maybe" and "random wire".

If you wish to experience the stark contrast between a proper wire antenna and
your expensive ground resistance heater, you need only to construct a simple
resonant wire dipole for 20 meters.  (It's just a center insulator with 16.5
feet of wire coming off each side...fed with RG-58 or RG-8X coax going to the
KX3.)  The dipole provides its own counterpoise.  (You did not describe the
counterpoise that you used with your random wire.)

The performance difference on transmit and receive (if the band is not dead)
compared to what you've been using should amaze you.  The ATU will love it as
well, inserting far less (or even no) lossy reactances for a match.  (Many
Elecrafters pretend those tiny little ATU inductors and capacitors are
loss-free, but of course they certainly are not...TANSTAAFL!)

Of course, the above details are only for 20m.  On request I can send
description of a simple and extremely inexpensive 40m to 10m (seven-band) wire
dipole that I've used for almost 40 years for portable (camp-site) operation.

Mike / KK5F