Hi Phil,

(1) The MFJ-259x series of antenna/feedline analyzers havean N coax connector. Using the BL2, you can connect it to the balanced ladder line. How were you planning to connect it without the balun? As you state it, it does not sound like a reasonable experiment design.

(2) The impedance ratio of both the DXE and BL2 is the square of the turns ratio. Thus, the 4:1 DXE is a 16:1 ratio in complex ohms.

You can measure the complex impedance at the end of the balanced line using a very short coax jumper from the BL2 to the analyzerand then compute the impedance at the balanced terminal using the above. Be careful of BL2 ratios that give extreme results, they're likely not really valid.

(3) Transformers are rated for both power and breakdown voltage. My DXE balun was rated at 11 KV and 10 KW ... although cramming 10 KW into an SO-239 seems a bit unrealistic. [:-) The transformer will have lossesmanifested in heat. If it gets too hot, it will do what everything else does whenit gets too hot. Depending on the impedance ratio and the complex impedance you're feeding, the voltagecan exceed the breakdown voltage, creating well-known effects.

If the applied power saturates the transformer core, power peaks above saturation will be clipped creating a huge RFI generator. Balun cores are ferrite of various compositions. Each composition has a specific Curie temperature, above which the core loses it's ferrimagnetic properties.

The MFJ-259x and VA1 are almost guaranteed to give non-identical results. If they are large differences, youhave some other problem. If they are small, they are essentially meaningless for your application. Hope this all helps.

73,

Fred ("Skip") K6DGW
Sparks NV USA
Washoe County DM09dn