Balun ratings are for a 1:1 SWR. My experience has been that when the impedance gets very reactive, baluns heat up more. I had a 5 kW DXE balun get too hot to touch with around 1 kW in such a situation. Canceling the reactance on the open-wire line side of the balun made it run cool.

Measuring the impedance of an open line with an antenna analyzer is tricky. If you use a balun, it will act as an extra piece of transmission line and transform the impedance. I tried to do it without a balun with an Autek VA1 (battery operated) sitting on a plastic stand -- it was difficult to adjust and I didn't feel the results were reliable.

What you can do if you know the length of the feedline and the details of the antenna accurately is to use EZNEC to get the impedance at the feedpoint and then TLW or a similar program to compute what it will look like at the shack end of the feedline. This worked for me.

73,
Victor, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel
Formerly K2VCO