On the contrary, I think the decision to offer "standard configuration packages" is a result of customer questions resulting from confusion about "what options do I need" and much time devoted to pre-sale communication with prospective customers.

Other manufacturers offer an "all or nothing" package that is their current model/configuration.

I have witnessed the confusion of many prospective buyers at the Elecraft booth at many hamfests - there is a lot of confusion about which options they should include. We endeavor to provide assistance to customize the option mix to the wants and needs of the customer.

These "standard" packages is a way to allow customers to purchase a K3S for the type of operating that they will be doing while minimizing that pre-sale activity.

One can still order additional options even with the pre-defined packages (and I assume also delete some options). But for the customer who is not familiar with what each Elecraft option will do for their operating experience, I believe it is a step in the right direction.

If Elecraft were to follow other manufacturer's footsteps, there would be a K3S-I, K3S-II and K3S-III designation for each of those bundles, but note that Elecraft has chosen not to do that. You do not have to sell your K3S-I to get a K3S-III, just add the options needed to upgrade it.

That "upgradability" has always been unique at Elecraft. Any K2 can be upgraded to the electrical equal of a new one, the same goes for the K3 with the addition of the modules included in the K3S (with only a few minor exceptions).

This is part of the Elecraft customer support philosophy. Note that the K2 is a 1998 design and is still going strong, and still fully supported.

73,
Don W3FPR