I guess it is a change from the traditionalElecraft "roll your own from a long list of options" approach, and your point is is valid, at least partially. HoweverI suspect strongly that there are manufacturing/assembly/logistics/support benefits and savings to the company by offering several"canned" configurations.

Questions about "Which optionshould I get" often appear on this list, and I've watched the E-folks at Hamfests spend a lot of time helping a new customer figure out what they want/need. The "roll your own" option is still available for those who prefer it, which is not true for other manufacturers, at least to the same degree as from Elecraft.

My K3 is old [S/N 642] and it now has what I want and use [except for the DVK which I wanted, bought, but have rarely used].When the K3s showed up, I told myselfthat the first good reason I could come up with to sell it and get a K3s, I'd do it. Still running #642.

73,

Fred ("Skip") K6DGW
Sparks NV USA
Washoe County DM09dn