> I think it is a bit ironic that for RTTY,  external TNC's have
> become passe in favor of direct computer decode/encode.  However,
> for CW the direction is to the equivalent of a CW TNC-- at least
> for the transmit side.

Ah, but you are mixing apples and oranges.  Even in PC RTTY, bit
timing has always been done in hardware.  It is handled in the UART
(typically an 8250 compatible UART) and not done using a software
timing loop that can be effected by operating system loading.

Before you point to EXTFSK ... EXTFSK uses a hardware timer in the
motherboard chipset - it does not rely on a software timing loop
like all of the CW software.