From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Jim Brown
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2009 9:17 AM
To: Elecraft List
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 choppy CW

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 08:24:30 -0500, Ed K1EP wrote:

>Because many hams today like to buy neat gadgets, many times without
>understanding what they do.  I key my K3 direct from my XP PC using the
>serial line.  I run speeds in the 30+ wpm.  I can achieve rates of over
>200+ Q/hour, and I have a very good UBN record.  Applications support
>it because the interfaces are out there.  There are situations in which
>you may actually need such a device, but a properly outfitted PC can
>support direct keying.  I use N1MM, CT, DxBase and other programs with
>no problems.  Just because something exists, doesn't make it necessary.
>Existence is not proof of necessity, and I don't even play a lawyer on
>TV.  Everyone is free to decide for themselves what is necessary for
>their particular
situation.

YES!  I'm a very active contester, and I've never used anything but
serial port keying when using a single radio from a single computer. CW
sounds just fine at any reasonable contesting speed. The ONLY time I've
ever had choppy CW is running TWO radios from the same laptop computer
on two ports. It worked, but it was choppy in the way, and to about the
same degree, that ZM1A was choppy last weekend. That's a limitation of
how the logging programs send CW. So I broke down and bought a WinKey
-- ONLY so that I could run SO2R. There is NO GOOD REASON to buy a
WinKey to run one K3.

There is also no good reason to use expensive interfaces (or
transformers) to connect your computer to your radio. All you need are
properly wired cables and simple bonding between the chassis of the
computer and the chassis of the radio. See

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/HamInterfacing.pdf  (Power Point)  and

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf (text to go with it)

73,

Jim Brown K9YC