Willis and All,

I very much respect your opinion, but I reject much of it
from my point of view.  In particular, your assertion that
80% of the contacts would be lost at QRP levels.  I feel
much of the problem of operating at QRP levels is the QRM
from QRO stations!  A CW or PSK31 op, in particular, might
tend to agree with this.  There are a lot more stations out
there that should be turning their power down, there there
are stations who need to turn their power up!

I also personally feel that your suggestion that "big
antennas" and power is what we need to impress new hams just
might be 180 degrees out of phase.  Not only are "big
antennas" out of reach for me from a practical standpoint, I
find the cost somewhat daunting.  I would think new hams
might be scared off if they think getting a license needs to
be followed by a very large outlay of money to get
effectively equipped.  I've always found that emphasizing
how easy it is to get started works better.  Let them
develop their own opinion as to whether bigger is better.

Finally, and this may be a bit of "heresy", I question the
absolute definition of QRP.  Yes, for contests and awards we
do need a fixed level, but I also think it should be
perfectly acceptable to say that running a K2 or Argonaut V
at nearer their upper power limit is still "QRP".  To me
it's all relative.  Not many folks will agree with me I
fear, but I've always felt 15 or 20 watts was pretty much
QRP in comparison to what most folks run.  Besides, there is
a great disparity between me running 5 watts to my vertical,
and another person running 5 watts into his 4 element beam
at 70 feet!  In other words, just saying everyone must run 5
watts doesn't make the playing field equal.

But all of this is just individual perception.  What works
best for you is what you should probably do.  It's no big
deal really.  The main thing is to enjoy what you are doing,
and there is no sin in cranking up the power.  The beauty of
this hobby is that there are so many different ways to
approach it.  Nothing "cookie cutter" about it.

Dave W7AQK