Brian,

Do not be put off by those who believe that "radio quality" audio cannot
be generated by a soundcard.  That may have been true with cheap
soundcards a long time ago, but most soundcards available now will
produce pure audio tones with very little distortion - so unless you
have a totally antique computer soundcard, it will do AFSK RTTY or PSK
just fine.  Many are doing it, and I dare say that the problems are not
with the soundcard itself, but with some hams overdriving the audio
input of the transceiver.

You have already heard that your proposed solution will not work - but
there is a 'close relative' that will generate RTTY, PSK or CW from
keyboard input and send it to the K3.  Look at the K3Utility Terminal
tab.  Reception is on the screen and you would receive in PSK D or FSK D
data modes.  It is not exotic, but it works FB as a quick solution -
tune the desired signal with a narrow filter.

Other computer software packages will do all that the K3Utility Terminal
will do and a lot more too, but they do use the soundcard for both
transmit and receive.  DigiPan is one of the easiest, Ham Radio Deluxe
with DM780 is one of my favorites and is free - others prefer the full
featured MixW.

73,
Don W3FPR