On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:42:56 -0600 (CST), Edwin Johnson wrote:

>So, is this, indeed, an electret or a dynamic microphone?

Most Yamaha info on internet about this product is wrong -- the
mc IS an electret, and the physical packaging makes that clear.
Dunno where the error arose -- perhaps a previous version of
this product had a dynamic mic, or maybe the advertising "spec"-
writer did a cut and paste and blew it. Wouldn't be the first
time. :)  Ditto with the 600 ohms part.

What the product description SHOULD say is that it is an
electret mic with its response tailored for communications use
and having a very high output. The product comes with a battery
adapter and adapter plugs to allow it to work with products that
don't provide bias. I suspect that this product is targeted to
computer gamers. Be thankful -- we're benefitting from the
potentially large quantities that Yamaha expects from the
product, hence the low price compared to ham products.

For others who asked about where to buy -- the lowest price I've
seen on the internet is Sam Ash in NYC. Don't know if they will
ship abroad. A member of our club arranged a group purchase, and
we paid just under $40. I think we bought about 25 pieces.

73,

Jim K9YC