Nick,

How about this?? Just fiddled around a little and wonder what you think.
There might be a better way, but essentially, I've done the following:

- Left y-axis = distance
- Right y-axis = time
- I couldn't get the xtic(1) option to work, so I replaced things with what
I've found to work x:y:xticlabels(col#)
- Beefed up the points to make them a little easier to see
- Used your data to "calibrate" your speed
--- The left y-axis is from 9-21min
--- The right y-axis is from 1.5min - 3.5min
--- This means the axes are 'calibrated' to 10mph

What does the "calibration" do? It means that at a quick glance you can see
your speed based on a target rate you set:
- if speed/distance are on top of each other, you're right at your target
- if speed (green) is higher than distance (red), you were faster than your
target
- if speed (green) is lower than distance (red), you were slower than your
target

Resetting your target is as easy as changing (in the code below):
- Time: yrange [y1:y2]
- Distance: y2range [y3:y4]

All you have to do is make sure that y3/y1 = y4/y2 = target speed

Also, remove the references to L/R and Red/Green if you'd like from the
labels. I just tried to make the labels as easy as possible to follow so
that no matter where you looked for a reference you would be forced to see
what color/axis matched what value.

I attached a sample graph. Sorry if I overstepped my bounds -- I realize
it's *your* workout tracker. Take what you like and ditch the rest. I wanted
to know how to do two different y axes anyway so it helped me learn. Code is
here:

------------------- gnuplot code -----------------------

#+tblname: sessions
| Date        | ID |  Time | Distance |
|-------------+----+-------+----------|
| 9/1/2010    |  1 | 14:00 |      2.4 |
| 9/2/2010    |  2 | 15:13 |      2.5 |
| 9/10/2010   |  3 | 13:45 |      2.3 |
| 9/11        |  4 | 12:20 |      2.0 |
| Spd > 10mph |  5 | 16:35 |      2.8 |
| Spd = 10mph |  6 |    10 |    1.666 |
| Spd < 10mph |  7 |    20 |      2.8 |

#+begin_src gnuplot :var data=sessions :file org-running.png :exports both
  reset
  set title "Running Stats"
  set size ratio square

  set xlabel "Date"
  set xtics nomirror rotate by -45

  set yrange [9:21]
  set ylabel "Time (min) -- Red"
  set ytics nomirror

  set y2range [1.5:3.5]
  set y2label "Distance (mi) -- Green"
  set y2tics 0,0.5,3.5

  set style data points
  plot data u 2:3:xticlabels(1) axis x1y1 lw 3 title 'Time (L axis)', \
       data u 2:4 axis x2y2 lw 3 title 'Distance (R axis)'
#+end_src

Best regards,
John