Karl Cunningham wrote:
> On 05/04/2012 07:26 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
>
>>   You'd need a swept
>> sine wave generator to stimulate the system, and record the response of
>> the system, both amplitude and phase to the stimulus.  Just add the sine
>> wave excitation to a constant position and feed this to the PID, and
>> record position.  Then, feed that to a Fourier analysis.
> I have a few geophones (mentioned earlier in this thread) which might be
> usable for collecting vibration data. I don't have a good
> high-sample-rate ADC, but perhaps some scope traces would suffice.
>
> If someone has any specific tests they would like done with this on a
> 3-axis knee mill, I could give it a go.

Actually, as I hinted above, I think this could be done with a script
and features
built into LinuxCNC.  There is a waveform generator as part of HAL, and
a module
that will record traces from the RT component of Halscope into a numerical
file.  So, the only thing needed is a little piece of code to extract
amplitude and
phase info from the halscope trace and create a spreadsheet data file
from the same
measurement over a range of frequencies.  So, if you have a machine with
encoder
feedback to the PC, you should be able to do this.  Assuming a 1 KHz servo
cycle, you should be able to detect resonances up to almost 500 Hz.

Jon