Karl Cunningham wrote:

> If this can be made to work, it's possible these techniques could also
> be used to help tune PID coefficients. Or at least point out where there
> is marginal loop stability.

Absolutely!  A Bode plot of gain and phase vs. frequency tells everything
about loop performance and stability, as well as pointing out additional
resonances in the system.  Automatically generating tuning parameters
from this data is a bit above my mathematical abilities, but getting a
Bode plot would be a great guide to manually tweaking the PID
settings.  I think it would be fairly easy to write a decent tuning guide
with step by step procedures for obtaining much improved tuning.

Jon