Jan de Kruyf wrote:

> This is very good off course. The lowest figure I have heard in the CNC
> world is 500Usec. But that I would consider nonsense for the market LCNC is
> operating in. 5 millisecs servo looptime is ample in almost all cases.

I have run my parallel-port attached hardware up to 4 KHz, but that
burns a lot of CPU time,
mostly waiting for the slow parallel port to work.  I believe the Mesa
people have run
10 KHz with their PCI boards.

5 ms servo loops actually perform pretty badly unless you have
timestamped encoder
velocity estimation.  The problem is the encoder position is necessarily
quantized
in position.  Then, to compound the noise, it is sampled in time.  This
leads to large
variations in apparent velocity.  Assume you are sampling at 1 KHz, and
the machine
is moving at a rate where 1500 encoder counts are coming in per second.  So,
every sample, you get 1, then 2, then 1, then 2 counts.  So, it appears
you have
an instantaneous 2:1 fluctuation in velocity at a 500 Hz rate.  Lowering
the sample
rate helps a bit as you get more samples per period, but it moves the
fluctuation
frequency lower.  At a 5 ms sampling rate, the "buzz" would move down to
100 Hz,
which is well withing the motor/drive bandwidth.

Jon