On Friday, 1 April 2022 10:59:08 EDT Hans Unzner wrote:
> Regarding the CAM software:
> It feels for me a bit like everyone is building/having their own CAM
> tool. Just to mention a few that comes into my mind: NativeCAM, PyCam,
> https://forum.linuxcnc.org/31-cad-cam/45456-simple-linux-cam?start=0 I
> haven't worked with them so I don't know the strengths of these tools.
> But wouldn't it be nice to concentrate the energy on building one that
> covers all? And this could be the "official LinuxCNC CAM" that is
> shipped with LinuxCNC according to Steffens vision...
>
> /Hans
>
> Am 01.04.22 um 12:11 schrieb Steffen Möller:
> > Hi again,
> >
> > To me, the .iso is a show room, and that may be worthwhile to extend
> > beyond the core functionality of LinuxCNC. I am too fresh into this
> > design this myself, read: I would benefit from such a compilation,
> > too.
> >
> > On https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/pull/1691 Jérémie mentioned
> > that the user experience gets initial hits from a non-graphical
> > network setup. I have not tried the .iso myself, no idea, but no
> > doubt something can be done to help our users at every level.
> >
> > From my side missing is a bit of CAD and CAM to complete the
> > workflows
> > that our users go through. I am using FreeCAD on an RPi4 (2GB) on a
> > large monitor (>30") and it is just working fine - a bit to my
> > surprise. So, once LinuxCNC is installable to Raspbian, not too much
> > more there will be to do for us on that platform. We could come up
> > with a "linuxcnc-environment" package that drags everything in that
> > we like to be shipping. For Intel/AMD platforms, there is
> > http://www.knoppix.org/ that may be worthwhile to investigate as a
> > basis for a LinuxCNC stick which then also features the
> > linuxcnc-environment binary and its dependencies.
> >
> > Best,
> > Steffen

I'm getting sorta familiar with OpenSCAD, but I'm feeding a 3d printer
gcode that cura "slices", an obviously additive and slow process.  I
would like very much to have an .stl or similar convertor that could
write gcode for a mill or lathe, subtracting from the specified or probe
scanned raw size, to get the finished OpenSCAD .stl's output.

Or does such a converter already exist? OpenSCAD has quite a lengthy list
of output formats, so using an .stl input is not an "only" choice.

> > On 01.04.22 09:59, Rod Webster wrote:
> >> Jérémie, Phil,
> >>
> >> The RIP build process is clearly explained in the documentation
> >> including
> >> how to list the required dependencies,
> >> If you want a shortcut, I would follow this recipe:
> >> https://www.qtpyvcp.com/install/bullseye.html
> >> Note its not necessary to run linuxcnc as RIP if you compile the
> >> source. You can build the .debs and install them.
> >>
> >> I was told you can install the bullseye ISO and build linuxcnc into
> >> VPS
> >> in about 20 minutes.
> >>
> >> Rod Webster
> >> *1300 896 832*