On 12/5/22 15:18, Steffen Möller wrote:

It would make some good sense to me not to use DDS that currently runs in the
base thread.

The base thread and servo thread both currently do not communicates via NML, and I don't think anyone(?) is suggesting changing that.

NML communication is currently used between Task (which is a sort of central coordinator of the LinuxCNC processes & components) and the GUIs. NML is used for non-realtime communications only.

Latency in this communication channel is still important, for example when a user lets go of the jog button on the keyboard the GUI should communicate that promptly to Task so Task can tell the motion controller to stop jogging.

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky