On Tuesday, January 03, 2012 12:10:31 PM kqt4a...@gmail.com did opine:
[...]
 controls and electronics of the machine are in the usual ATX PC case.

> > What I wanted to say with all this - PC mainboard does not matter that
> > much, but D525 has a lot of advantages, when compared to other
> > options.
>
> If I were wanting to build a new pc I would agree but I would like to
> improve the reliability of a "decent" machine I occasionally get rtai
> errors
> Will the Mesa hardware do this
> I have only stepper motors

Richard

Your "decent" machine for this service s/b its latency-test results, very
little else counts if those aren't usable.  I have been fairly well
educated in just the differences a video card can make in those figures,
and what may be a "decent" machine for the kids to play Doom on, can be a
far cry indeed from "decent" for emc.  And building one of these is a piece
of cake as long as your screwdriver bit is fresh.

That said, mine made it to 6:26 this morning before it went away again, and
when it did it left both gkrellm and latency-test images on my screen here,
and gkrellm was showing the 5 volts at 4.92, usable about 2 seconds before
it crashed.  So I, while having a spare psu that is better, will probably
order a couple of those kits using the D525 boards in the next day or so, I
am tired of screwing with this 'regular pc' format and its annual
replacement of many of its internal pieces, like the psu & optical drive.
A cpu that is faster, only uses 14 watts & needs no fans that fail is very
appealing to me.  Technology moves on as it always will, and gets cheaper,
as it always will, although cheaper reminds me of that old saw about cheap,
good, and fast, pick any 2.  So I may as well try to keep up, even at my
age.

You all have said the SSD's are the way to go, so I'll probably pop for the
8Gb or 16Gb version of those, but I'd need advice on brands & models to be
assured of decent life.  ISTR the present install is using about 4.3Gb of a
46Gb drive I've had for yonks but seems dead reliable yet.  But its a pata
interface that may not be available on the D525's.  Since I do daily
backups that's a shrug.

An enterprising neighborhood teenage girl just came by and cleared quite a
bit of the 7 or 8" of snow we got last night from the deck, Dee's car and
the drive behind it, so that's taken care of for a bit, but doesn't get me
to the shop just yet.  First, I need to figure out where my giddy-up-go
went, it seems to have left without me this morning.

Cheers, Gene
The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy
sets.
                -- L. Zadeh