On Wednesday, January 04, 2012 02:45:54 PM Jon Elson did opine:

> gene heskett wrote:
> > Can some of that perceived resistance be credited to us linux folks
> > generally being more likely to have a decent UPS that shields our
> > boxes from a lot of that stuff?
>
> Nope, no UPSs here or at work.  our network switches at work are on
> UPSs, and maybe
> the departmental server.  I have 2 machines that are on 24/7 here, and a
> bunch more
> that are on a lot of the time.
>
> > Add that as a whole I think we pay more attention to surge arrestors
> > and ground bonding than the typical winderz user too.  I sure have in
> > here, and I know well that there have been occasions when this whole
> > rooms electronics has bounced 50 kilovolts or more due to a nearby
> > strike.  But it all bounces in unison as its all plugged into a
> > single duplex, so there is little if any real voltage between the
> > various pieces in here.
>
> I have wires strung all over the place, network and a home environmental
> monitoring
> system.  The other computers are all across the shop.  I did get a
> motherboard ethernet
> jack blown out during a thunderstorm some years ago, that is about it.
> I did have some
> interface logic blown out about 25 years ago between two computers that
> were powered
> from different outlets.  (One ran on 240 V, one on 120 V.)
>
> > But the huge majority of it can be credited to ext3 with journalling
> > enabled I think, and I don't believe that any windows file system has
> > ever grown that ability.  At least in the rare instances when I have
> > had to rescue the windows machines in the neighborhood, I have seen
> > zero evidence that it has such.
>
> Yeah, I run Win 2K as a guest OS under VMware, and sometimes after a
> power failure
> the Win 2K system won't boot.  I have to run the recovery console from
> the CD and
> then do chkdsk.  Apparently, Win 2K leaves the disk in an intermediate
> state a fair amount
> of the time, typical of Microsoft logic.  "Power failures never happen
> to our customers."

Chuckle.  Little do they know.  Heck, Jon, I have 2 of those cheap electric
heaters, one in the garage, and one out in the shop, with digital controls
because I've found, like everyone else I suspect, that the heaters with
manual dial controls will start sticking on after about a weeks running.
These digital things forget their settings in any power failure of more
then 3 or 4 cycles duration.  I find I have to reset these at least
monthly, and often more often than that.  Poor maintenance of the
substation regulator switches are the cause of 90%  of that folderol.

Even though it was 14F here last night, with one of those, and a
dehumidifier trying to wring a little water out of the low humidity air in
the garage, the temp in the garage is above 60F right now.  The shop
building isn't anything resembling insulated, but one of those digital
heaters, set on low speed & its minimum of 60F, keeps it well above the dew
point in there so my gear doesn't turn bright red with rust.  But anybody
with a modicum of sense can see that shed has heat, snow on the roof is
gone in <24 hours, maybe with 3" diameter icicles hanging on the edges.  I
have considered building another, this time well insulated, but I don't
have the real estate to do that without tearing that one down.  Since this
one is an overgrown garden shed (12x16 for roof footprint, a hair under 10
feet wide on the floor) it doesn't have enough flooring to tolerate heavy
stuff so despite the middle of the floor originally sitting on 5 each 18"
square pads, the middle now has about a 5" sag in it after 10 years of
holding up a 400 lb jointer & a 250 lb bandsaw.  There is no way, in this
yellow clay soil, to set anything one can call "permanent".

This house, with a full basement, has I believe shifted upwards, floating
if you will, at least 2" in the 22 years I've been here.  Either that, or
the 'dirt' all around it has settled anywhere from 3" to 12" all around it.
Built in 1974, when I moved in in 1989, we still had those corrugated,
curved steel window wells around the basements windows on the downhill
side, holding back around 8" of this so-called "dirt".  I took them out 10
years ago, and the 'dirt' is now around 4 to 6" below the bottoms of the
windowsills.  A 3' wide sidewalk, which came from a poorly paved drive to a
5 foot square front stoop against the front of the house went way out of
level to the point of dangerous so we put a 10x26 foot deck over it in
about 1999.  That fell short of reaching the drive by 11 feet, so when I
built the garage in 2008, I extended the garage floor pour to 10 feet out,
and along the front of the house about 11 or 12 feet to level that up
again, so there is from 6 to 13" of new concrete there, with around 8" new
on the garage floor itself.  Right over the old carport stuff I probably
should have jackhammered out but that would have raised the cement bill
another $2200 to reach the grade level I wanted.  Then I had the rest of
the drive blacktopped a month later.

Paying a bit of attention to drainage when we floated it, I believe we've
deflected the majority of the water away as that area, unlike the garage
floor, has not developed any hairline cracks, (yet, I mean after all, it
_is_ cement, it _will_ crack...)

Next time I build, I will set footers at least 12" wide, sitting on 24"
wide pads at the bottom, & 3 feet deep, then level the grade inside, put
down 4" of styrofoam for insulation on 2" of sand raked dead smooth, and
then pour about 8" of concrete full of wire on top of that for a floor.
That of course is in my dreams, I am 77 & that sounds like a hell of a lot
of work when I would rather be enjoying what I have, in the time I may have
left, so we both know that is a dream based on what I shoulda/woulda done
in the first place.  But I built it for under $500 in materials per
purchase so I didn't need to get a construction permit.  Note "per
purchase" qualifier, it was 2 or three trips IIRC. :)  Now, since it
exists, its on the taxes but grandfathered.

Keeps me out of the bars don'tcha know. Dreamers are like that. Hindsite,
always at least 20-20, often even better.  ;)

Cheers Jon, Gene
... I want to perform cranial activities with Tuesday Weld!!