I have had some bad experiences with SSDs. So far in about 18 months I
have killed three in my office computer and one in my network server.
Three were Kingston V series and one was a Samsung. I had the same
issues with all of them. Initially they worked great but after some
months they started locking up when writing to them. After rebooting a
chunk of the file system would be missing.

I have however had no problems with CF cards. They are slow but I have
never had a failure that couldn't be attributed to electrical or
physical abuse. I am currently using one in my lathe (running EMC of
course) and one in my network server. Both have been in use for a couple
of years. You can get SATA CF card adapters if you don't have PATA on
the motherboard.

Les