On 1/3/2012 6:36 PM, Les Newell wrote:
> I have had some bad experiences with SSDs. So far in about 18 months I
> have killed three in my office computer and one in my network server.
> Three were Kingston V series and one was a Samsung. I had the same
> issues with all of them. Initially they worked great but after some
> months they started locking up when writing to them. After rebooting a
> chunk of the file system would be missing.
>
> I have however had no problems with CF cards. They are slow but I have
> never had a failure that couldn't be attributed to electrical or
> physical abuse. I am currently using one in my lathe (running EMC of
> course) and one in my network server. Both have been in use for a couple
> of years. You can get SATA CF card adapters if you don't have PATA on
> the motherboard.
>
> Les
>

> On 03/01/12 17:42, gene heskett wrote:
>> You all have said the SSD's are the way to go, so I'll probably pop for the
>> 8Gb or 16Gb version of those, but I'd need advice on brands&   models to be
>> assured of decent life.  ISTR the present install is using about 4.3Gb of a
>> 46Gb drive I've had for yonks but seems dead reliable yet.  But its a pata
>> interface that may not be available on the D525's.  Since I do daily
>> backups that's a shrug.

The jury still seems to be out on the question of SSD reliability,
partly because there are so few data points compared to rotating disks.

Tom's Hardware did a decent job summarizing various reports back in
July(?). There's no argument SSDs are fast but no one (except the
vendors, that is) is willing to bet on their longevity. Worse, SSDs seem
to fail without any ability to recover and they seem to without warning
(SMART seems useless as an early warning technology).

I use a cheap 30GB SSD as my boot and system device but I make sure it's
totally backed up for easy replacement when (not if) it fails.

Regards,
Kent