On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 2:55 PM, andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 28 May 2012 20:34, Bryce Johnson <sie...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It seems like I lose some flexibility when using gantrykins vs just
> slaving
> > the drives together (although I would like to be able to home both X1 and
> > X2 independently).  Is there a way to home the drives and then run it as
> if
> > they were slaved?
>
> Not that I know of. Though I think it is possible to automatically
> switch to world mode when homed.
>
> I am surprised that it will try to drive a joint faster than the max
> velocity for that joint though.
>
> > atom boards to improve the stepping, or should I get one of those mesa
> > cards I keep seeing you guys use (like 5i25?  at $90 that would be as
> cheap
> > as a atom board).  Could I plug that directly into my C10 breakout board
> > from keling (http://www.kelinginc.com/c10.pdf)?
>
> I think it will probably plug straight in with the correct firmware
> loaded. It gives you much more than a swap to an Atom board. An Atom
> board will give you 4x the current step rate, a 5i25 will give you
> nearer 400x. You don't need 400x, but there is an advantage in the
> much lower step rate granularity.
>
> There is a daughter-board for the 5i25 (7i76) which does a lot more
> than a simple BoB, but that requires a different firmware on the 5i25.
> It can be changed, but it is akin to a BIOS flash, so is some effort
> (and I don't think the Linux version of the utility is ready yet)
>
> --
> atp
> If you can't fix it, you don't own it.
> http://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto

I think I'll look into one of the mesa boards. Probably the 5i25.  That
would fix part of the issue with not being able to drive the Z fast enough.
 I'll also have to look into auto switching from joint mode, so I
don't accidentally jog one of my x joints.

Can you set parms in the INI that are just used by the world mode?  Like X
axis speed?  The soft limits?