Hi Eric,

Am 12.01.2013 um 05:49 schrieb Eric H. Johnson:

> Hi all,
>
> This is really a response to the "LinuxCNC  for DIY 3D Printing" thread
> without hijacking that thread.
>
> After seeing the success of a few other people in getting lcnc running on an
> Arm / Beaglebone, I thought I would take a shot at doing the same on the
> Olinuxino, with the intent of driving a 3D printer.  I found the Olinuxino
> attractive because it has 512MB RAM and a 1Ghz processor and 3 I2C
> interfaces, as well as a companion 7" LCD or LCD touch display. It does not
> have an immediate interface to get to a Mesa type FPGA device, but I was
> hoping with a 1Ghz processor I would at least be able to directly drive 3
> stepper motors.
>
> The board in fact just arrived today. Android built into the onboard NAND
> booted first time. While waiting for the board to arrive, I also built a
> custom kernel and a debian image and loaded that to a 4GB SD card. That,
> unfortunately was an abject failure. It would not boot, and worse, gave no
> error message. I just got a black screen.
>
> I am going to try a prebuilt stock debian image tomorrow.

having been through this with two different ARM boards, let me tack on a
suggestion together with a wish for good luck:

- RTAI not being an option, an RT_PREEMPT being similar effort for worse
results, the preferred RT OS would be Xenomai. That however depends on a bit of
lowelevel code which isnt available in stock kernels, and replicating this for
new hardware would be out of my skill range; I therefore would start the search
for suitable SoC by filtering which architecture, or board, has a know-to-work
Xenomai port. Even if RT_PREEMPT is easier to get running, you might lack the
hires timer support.

This list of commits between stock 3.2.21 and a working Xenomai kernel gives an
idea of the task:
https://github.com/roosen/linux/commits/v3.2.21_AM33xx_core-3.2

- the lesser chore is finding a closely matching package stream, or be prepared
to build all of the prerequisites yourself.

mazeltov,

- Michael