After seeing the success of a few other people in getting lcnc running on an
> Arm / Beaglebone, I thought I would take a shot at doing the same on the
> Olinuxino, with the intent of driving a 3D printer.  I found the Olinuxino
> attractive because it has 512MB RAM and a 1Ghz processor and 3 I2C
> interfaces, as well as a companion 7" LCD or LCD touch display. It does not
> have an immediate interface to get to a Mesa type FPGA device, but I was
> hoping with a 1Ghz processor I would at least be able to directly drive 3
> stepper motors.

Nice! This is the first project I've seen with an affordable and apparently
good-looking & functional touch screen solution.

For various embedded projects I've been looking for a board that runs
linuxcnc/HAL, with either on-board IO/Microcontroller/FPGA or the
possibility to use a MESA card. A touch-screen would be used for UI.

Raspberry Pi.
+ small, cheap
- the processor is slow - barely able to boot a standard debian desktop.
- There are some touchscreen hacks but nothing universally used & good.
- two SPI channels, one of which (maybe) goes to touch-screen use.

ITX-sized x86
+ stock standard x68
- 7" HDMI touch-screens exist (e.g. lilliput UK), but expensive (200
eur/gbp/usd).
- expensive (board 100eur, processor 100eur, etc.)
+ PCI or PCI-E for MESA card

For now I am slowly working on the x86 solution, mostly because it is tried
& tested, but these substantially cheaper ARM alternatives seem to be
progressing...

Does anyone know what electronics would go between the HDMI-connector of an
x86-board, and the 55eur Olinuxino 7" touch-screen? Is it something one
could DIY for less than 150eur which is roughly the price-difference to a
7" Lilliput HDMI-interfaced (USB for touch) screen ?

Definitely keep us posted on the progress, and latency-numbers if/when you
get a xenomai kernel going.

Anders