On 1/12/2013 9:05 AM, Anders Wallin wrote:
> After seeing the success of a few other people in getting lcnc running on an
>> Arm / Beaglebone, I thought I would take a shot at doing the same on the
>> Olinuxino, with the intent of driving a 3D printer.  I found the Olinuxino
>> attractive because it has 512MB RAM and a 1Ghz processor and 3 I2C
>> interfaces, as well as a companion 7" LCD or LCD touch display. It does not
>> have an immediate interface to get to a Mesa type FPGA device, but I was
>> hoping with a 1Ghz processor I would at least be able to directly drive 3
>> stepper motors.
>>

> Nice! This is the first project I've seen with an affordable and apparently
> good-looking & functional touch screen solution.
>
> For various embedded projects I've been looking for a board that runs
> linuxcnc/HAL, with either on-board IO/Microcontroller/FPGA or the
> possibility to use a MESA card. A touch-screen would be used for UI.

The simplest way to do this would probably be to use two systems, one
for LinuxCNC and the hardware, and an Android tablet/phone/whatever to
run a remote touch-screen interface.

For a single-platform ARM solution, TI has another AM335x reference
design with a touch-screen that's pretty reasonably priced ($200):

http://www.ti.com/tool/tmdssk3358

I'm currently using the 'Bone because:
* It's cheaper to start, and I'm not to the point I need a display yet
* It has pin headers for I/O expansion
* The LCD interface on the AM335x uses the same pins as the PRU direct
I/O lines.
* I was able to buy a BeBoPr 'shield' which means I don't have to make
any custom hardware to get through the first round of testing with an
actual 3D printer.

The pin muxing issue could probably be worked around somewhat, at the
expense of (slightly) worse jitter on the PRU generated step/dir
signals, but for initial testing the 'Bone is the easy solution.

WARNING: Even with a 1 GHz CPU and Xenomai on the Olinuxino (or any
similar development board), I don't think you're going to get latency
numbers that work well for (Linux based) software stepgen.  You'll
probably need either hardware PWM generation (on or off chip), or
something like the PRU available in the TI parts that can off-load the
step generation from the Linux based servo thread.  You could fairly
easily do software stepgen with custom code running on the bare metal
(ie: no OS), but that kind of defeats the idea of using LinuxCNC.

- --
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net